22 Nov SMC vows stricter measures after Skyway accident
SAN MIGUEL Corp. (SMC) President and Chief Operating Officer Ramon S. Ang on Sunday said the company and its contractor EEI Corp. will be implementing “stricter” safety measures at the Skyway Extension project site after an accident that resulted in one fatality and four injuries.
Mr. Ang “vowed that the incident will be investigated thoroughly, and that SMC and its contractor EEI will make sure even stricter measures are in place at the project site,” SMC said in an e-mailed statement.
A steel girder from the project fell on six vehicles, killing one person and hurting four others, at the East Service Road, Cupang in Muntinlupa City on Saturday morning, according to the company.
“To the family, I can only offer my sincerest and deepest condolences, and my personal assurance that your family will be taken care of. To those who were injured, please be assured we will provide all the means necessary for you to recover and restart,” Mr. Ang said.
The company announced on Saturday its new deadline for the P10-billion project because of the accident.
“From the December 2020 deadline, target completion is now February 2021,” it said.
The project aims to extend the Skyway from Susana Heights on the South Luzon Expressway to Sucat and back and provide direct access to the elevated section of the Skyway. Construction of the four-kilometer elevated viaduct started in June last year.
Once fully completed, the project’s three new northbound lanes will be able to accommodate an additional 4,500 vehicles per hour. The two additional southbound lanes will be able accommodate an additional 3,000 vehicles per hour. — Arjay L. Balinbin