21 rescued OFWs bound home

21 rescued OFWs bound home

PHILIPPINE STAR/WALTER BOLLOZOS

THE 21 FILIPINO seafarers rescued from a bulk carrier attacked by Houthi rebels in the Red Sea last week are set to return to the Philippines on Monday.

Citing information from the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW), Malacañang said on Sunday the overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) were received by Philippine Ambassador to Bahrain Anne Jalando-on Louis on Saturday and “expected to board a flight home Sunday evening.”

Twenty-two Filipinos were onboard bulk carrier MV Tutor, a Liberian-flagged, Greek-owned vessel, when it was attacked by Houthi rebels in the southern Red Sea last week.  One of them “remains missing,” the palace said. “Search operations are underway to locate the missing seafarer,” it added.

The 21 who arrived at the Port of Manama, Bahrain, on Saturday afternoon will be joined by DMW Labor Attaché Hector Cruz.

The Houthis, which are backed by the Iranian government, have been attacking cargo ships in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden since November in response to what they call as “heinous acts” being committed by Israel in Gaza. — Kyle Aristophere T. Atienza